Dental anesthesia

05/13/2008

Question:

My aunt had a molar pulled out about 2 weeks ago. It sounds like the first anesthesia shot was not enough, so dentist administered a second shot. After surgery she woke up, her body started shaking, and she felt a sensation that she could not breathe. She passed out, and the dentist kept her under watch for about 2 hours. It has been 2 weeks since this has happened and she still doesn`t feel "right". She has gone to her primary physician, but EKG (the only test they will administer) comes back normal. She has also gone to the dentist, and they seem genuinely worried, but not offering much help. Any suggestions as to what her next steps should be?

Answer:

I am sorry, but I am not clear on your question. As you said that your aunt "woke up" after surgery, did she have intravenous sedation or general anesthesia? It is not uncommon to need a second or third injection of local anesthetic for extraction of abscessed teeth. If your aunt fainted, a common occurrence actually in the dental office, this is an easily managed emergency for the dentist to handle. If not managed properly, however, fainting can lead to seizures or other negative consequences, but this is unlikely. I am sorry, but I do not have enough information to answer your question.