Braces

Wearing retainer with a new crown?

05/15/2008

Question:

I had braces about five years ago and have the metal style retainers I`m supposed to wear every night. I recently had a crown put in and one of the little metal balls on my upper retainer sits right in between the crown and the tooth next to it. Is it okay to still wear my retainer or will it pop my crown off? The retainer is a little tight since because of pain I didn`t wear it while waiting for the root canal and the crown. My dentist who did the crown referred me to an orthodontist for this but my insurance won`t cover that.

Answer:

Can you not return to the orthodontist who made the retainer? Most orthodontists will adjust that as part of their retention program. It takes very little adjustment usually. It should not be that tight and I would be concerned too, but if the crown is well cemented it may not dislodge it. If you cannot go back because you are out of town then have the general dentist who made the crown reduce the clasp.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry