Infertility

How to get pregnant

05/28/2008

Question:

I have done most fertility tests. There is hperprolactinemia. How long will it take to be normal. The level is 67. My husband refused doing his semen analysis. its been more than 3 months we started the test. I`ve started treatment for high prolactin level. What do i do?

Answer:

It is not clear whether you have done a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to see if your tubes are open.  Also, your age is important as women over 35 have a mild decrease in success rates, which becomes more pronounced by age 40. 

You have hyperprolactinemia and this can cause irregular periods.  Normalization of these levels can cause your periods to normalize with normal ovulation.  This could take 1-3 months.  However, if your periods are already regular, this may play less of a role.  It is also unclear as to how long you have been attempting pregnancy.  Finally, your husband should have a semen analysis to complete a work-up before starting actual fertility treatment.  

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD