Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Bruising lasting a few weeks/ erythema infect

05/16/2008

Question:

Past blood work reveals nothing , but I bruise easily and even small scratches will last a few weeks ( I do not take aspirin) IV`s sites will bruise for weeks, until using a compression bandage.(duh)Uncle is a hemophiliac, but again my blood work is fine. I also get a recurrence of the rash erythema infectiosum (biopsy confirmed the rash)on lower legs if I stand for long periods , the rash is worse now and lasts longer.Past and present Drs. have no ideas. Help!

Answer:

With all of the blood work being normal, its difficult to know what exactly is going on. There are some more rare causes of bleeding that can be seen with normal blood work. Many times you need to resend the blood work at different times to be sure when you are dealing with von Willebrand's disease, for example.

It is difficult to say much more without being able to talk with you and examine you. I would encourage you to be seen by a hematologist if you haven't already, and consider getting a second opinion at a larger university where there may be a coagulation expert.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine