Sarcoidosis

What Is The Marshall Protocol?

05/16/2008

Question:

My brother has sarcoidosis and is looking into the Marshall Protocol. He is looking for a doctor to guide him through this process, do you support this form of treatment?

Answer:

The Marshall protocol is predicated on the assumption that a difficult-to-detect infection causes sarcoidosis. To date, there is no convincing evidence, such as would be published in the top medical journals to support this hypothesis. On the other hand, there are some anecdotal reports suggesting that the protocol is effective. However, some sarcoidosis patients get better without treatment, which could explain these anecdotal reports.

Being a board certified physician and a scientist, I cannot endorse the Marshall protocol until large, well-controlled clinical trials have shown a benefit. At this point I am unsure if it works or not.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine