Digestive Disorders

NASH/liver dysfunction

05/20/2008

Question:

I have been having abdominal pain for 6+ years. The pain is in the liver area and follows with many severe symptoms. Here are some of my symptoms: abdominal pain, back pain, chest pain, migrane headaches, dizziness, nausea, diahrrea, occasional blood in stool, dehydration. I have had one period in my whole life. Nosebleeds almost every other day. If I don`t eat at all I get the pain and if I do eat I get the pain, so either way I suffer. The pain can last anywhere from 30 min - few hours - or a whole day. I am really overweight for my age and have had high insulin problems in past. When I was 16, I had my tonsils removed and had went into shock that same week, so I had to have a blood transfusion. I had 1 period before my surgery and since then my cycles have stopped. Now I`m 25 and I have already had my gallbladder and appendix removed. Could this be symptoms of NASH?

Answer:

There are many diagnoses which can encompass all of these symptoms. It is going to take much more than one paragraph to make sense of this all.

Certainly, you can have NASH. Would that give you migraines, and lack of menstrual cycle? No.

Can NASH cause some abdominal pain from a huge liver and perhaps back pain? Yes. But being overweight can also lead to back pain.

You can also have the metabolic syndrome, with high insulin levels and insulin resistance.

Perhaps there is a pituitary problem leading to hormone imbalance, etc.

It sounds to me that there might be (several) complex, interwoven issues going on. From what you tell me, I would not think that any potential NASH diagnosis is in the forefront.

You need to see some smart docs, including an endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, internist. Again, I am not convinced that liver disease is the main issue here.

I am sure you tried to loose weight, but that might be one factor in some of these complaints.

Sorry for not being of help more. With some things as serious as these sound, you should have routine, continuous medical care.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Steven  M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS Steven M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS
Formerly
Professor of Surgery, Director of Liver Transplat and Hepatobiliary Surgery