Infertility

How come?

05/28/2008

Question:

I have had irregular period since I was at the age of 14, and I am 22 now. I hadn`t had health insurance, so I didn`t goto the doctor, but recently I had received good health benefits and went to visit doctor. They did an exam and then put me on the depo shot and I completly quit bleeding. Is there any way after I get off the shot that I can get pregnant if I still continue to bleed all the time? I would like to have kids and this is upsetting.

Answer:

If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  You should be evaluated for hormonal causes such as thyroid disease or increased prolactin (these are simple blood tests).   If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD