4 surgeries in 2 years

05/20/2008

Question:

Hello, 2.5 years ago I had a terrible car accideny in India and my face was broken into many bits.  I`ve been having maxillo facial surgery since February 2006. (First one was 7 hours, then 5 hours, 4 hours, and my last one was in November 2007 for 6 hours).  I have no really bad symptoms, am back at work, and exercise twice a week.  My main problem is that I am a little over anxious (this may be due to PTSD however) and I get tired easily.  I cannot stay up late and sleep little and be active and "normal" the next day.  I am 31 years old and many people my age can go out during weekdays and are okay the next day.  I may be able to do this once, but then need 4 days to recuperate. Is this normal?

My blood is okay, I am slightly anemic but have always been and it is also quite common in women.  What can I do? Could it be that these 4 surgeries have made me a weaker person? What other long-term consequences should I be expecting? I have another 3 hours surgery planned for this September (hopefully my last). Should I not do this? Thank you very much.  Regards from Italy.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness has some information available about multiple surgeries that you can access through the links below. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Anesthesia for 35 to 40 surgeries in one year
Effects of Anesthesia-Multiple Surgeries

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org