Still getting high readings

05/19/2008

Question:

Am 56...diabetesII.AM EATING PROTEIN & VEGGIES STILL GETTING HIGH READINGS90-270! IS THERE HELP FOR ME? WHAT IS HAPPENING? TAKING INSULIN AND METFORMIN 500MG! PLEASE ANSWER BACK!!!

Answer:

I am afraid I don't have enough information to give you a very specific answer to your question.  In general, It is possible to achieve reasonable blood sugar control in most people with the right combination of diet efforts, exercise, medication and evaluation and possible other changes in lifestyle including stress.  That can best be accomplished with the help of a diabetes team including a physician and diabetes educators, usually dieticians and/or nurses and/or pharmacists.  Having several people put their heads together and helping you walk through the reasoning of a plan is really the best way to accomplish these goals.  The referral information on NetWellness provides names of strong diabetes centers available in our region of the United States.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD