Side Affects of Anesthesia

05/21/2008

Question:

My mother is 62 and has had several surgeries including a hysterectomy just 2 years ago. She just recently had a hernia operation and she is having difficulty in recovering from the hernia operation. With other surgeries in the past that were more complicated she had minimal side affects. What is a reasonable amount of time to recover from anesthesia and what may be some of the side affects? When would you begin to be concerned about these side affects lingering?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Unfortunately, you have not provided enough information for me to be able to provide you with an answer. Some questions about side effects of anesthesia (of which there are many) have been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Anesthesia and Muscle Pain
Side effects of anesthesia
Side effects after anesthesia
Long term psychological effects of anesthesia
Memory after anesthesia
Long term effects of anesthesia on the brain

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology