Gum Diseases

Had a gum graft and bone graft

05/21/2008

Question:

I guess my question is this. I had a gum graft and bone graft on Friday (May 16th). Should the area where the tissue was placed be purplish in color? When does it turn pink? Thanks

Answer:

It would take at least 10 days to start seeing the difference. You had both hard and soft tissue grafting at the same site. We generally do this when we do not have enough gingival structure to cover bone graft material. In this case, some of the soft tissue grafting may not survive. Periodontists know this. The goal here is to cover the bone graft material so it will not become exposed. If it is exposed, it will resorb too fast before turning into real bone. So, the soft tissue which does not survived may stay purple for a longer period until it eventually falls out. But, it will do its job and keep the bone graft material covered during early wound healing.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology