Face and Jaw Surgery

Jaw growth where my wisdom teeth used to be?

06/09/2008

Question:

My lower jaw has grown in the area behind my back teeth. This is in the area where my impacted wisdom teeth were removed 15 years ago or so. The last 2+ years i had bone growth behind those back teeth and felt the growing pains. Now they are the height of my back teeth, my jaw hurts constantly and I have pressure in my ears. The dentist said it`s not tooth. Then he left that practice and the other dentist when asked said it was a good thing and it supports the teeth and so on. I told him it hurts and it seems to be growing still. He said you`d need to see a dental surgeon and I wouldn`t want to do that because he`d have to saw my jaw. Can someone tell me what it could possibly be? Absess? Cancer? Acromegally? Could it be a tumor? Affecting my ears (severe pain and nausea in reaction to rain/barometric changes etc). Also, have now had an ear infection/inflammation for first time ever for over a month and I think it`s related. Additionally, I`m in my late 30`s. Thanks!

Answer:

I cannot make a diagnosis without the exam. However you history does not suggest a cancer or abscess. If your jaw is continuing to grow it need to be evaluated as to why.

Lower jaw does not grow at this age. Even if there is a jaw growth it usually does not grow behind the wisdom teeth region. Please see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon who can diagnose it appropriately.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS