Breast Cancer

Breast bruising

06/13/2008

Question:

Hello, a year ago I noticed a bruise on my right breast. It spread around the breast. It has now gone to my left breast. I have seen my family doctor, a breast surgeon/specialist, a hematologist and none of them think it is inflammatory breast cancer. I have no swelling nor change in the texture of my breast. None of them seem to know what this is. I have had mammagrams and ultra sound with no problems. The hematoligists report came back with everything normal. Please help. Do you have any ideas. What would cause superficial bruising on my breasts? Is it the bras I am wearing?

Answer:

Unfortunately, I don't know what is causing the bruising that you are experiencing, but it does sound like the breasts have been well worked up to assure that the cause is not a breast cancer.  This really does not sound like an inflammatory breast cancer, which is more likely to be confused with a mastitis or infectious process.  I'm not sure if the bras are causing it, but it might be worthwhile to be refitted and try different bras to see if the problem improves.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery