Arthritis and Rheumatism

Roaming Joint Pain With No Other Symptoms

05/28/2008

Question:

Hi, I am a 59 year old caucasian female. For years I`ve had what I used to call Charley horses in my joints--but only one joint at a time. It used to feel like it was about to "go out" on me, or it felt something like a sprain. I had NO other symptoms. The joint would feel that way for only a short time--a few minutes to a few days, then it would disappear. Months might go by before I felt it in another joint. It was never the same joint in succession.

Then a few years, ago the pain came in one of my elbows, and was more painful than usual, weakening my grip. This time it was also painful to the touch if I felt in the right place. It lasted so long, several months, that I thought maybe I was losing the use of the arm permanently. Then suddenly it disappeared and again I had no problems for a long time. Sometimes it would be a knee, then an ankle, then the other elbow, a hip, etc. Always with NO other symptoms.

About a month ago, the pain began again, but in the other elbow, in the same way as last time. I`ve looked it up on the internet, but roaming pain seems to usually be associated with fever or other symptoms, and I have no symptoms. It also does not seem to be connected with what I am eating, though I haven`t made an actual study of it.

I`ve not seen a doctor about it yet because the cost is so high and with the intermittent nature of the pain, and that if it is arthritis there is no cure anyway, I felt not much would be accomplished. However I am open to seeing a doctor if you think it would be useful to do so. I`m looking forward to your reply as to some possibilities of what it might be. Thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms.

The US Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Primary Health Care has a directory that will help you find a clinic that will give you medical care, even if you have no medical insurance or money.  It was last updated in February 2008, so the information is current.  Simply use the pull-down menu to access services in your area.

Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need further explanation.

Bureau of Primary Health Care

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org