Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids

Supernumerary teeth, sideways teeth corrected

My son was diagnosed with two supernumerary teeth at 7 years. The front two baby teeth fell out normally at age 6. He had the 2 conical/ peg shaped supernumerary teeth removed and 2 baby teeth either side (total 6). His front teeth however have erupted through the gumline well above the normal position and are sideways and stick out at a 45 degree angle to normal. How will they bring these teeth into position?

Thank you for the question.

Management of supernumerary teeth is a treatment issue that can last well into adolescence and early adulthood. The best recommendation is to make sure that your son has a dental home - someone/somewhere that 'quarterbacks' his care through a team approach. This may involve an orthodontist, oral/maxillofacial surgeon, restorative dentist/prosthodontist, as well as a pediatric dentist. More than likely if the teeth don't erupt into their normal there will be some form of orthodontics to correct the misalignment.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics