Infertility

Infertility

05/28/2008

Question:

HI I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I BEEN TRYING TO CONCEIVE NOW FOR 3 AND A HALF YEARS AND WITH NO LUCK I MEAN I AM ONLY 26 YEARS OLD AND SO IS MY HUSBAND AND MY QUESTIONS IS THAT MY HUSBAND WENT AND GOT A Siemen analysis and he came out with low sperm and i went ahead and got an hsg test done and the doctor told me everything was good and i also have had blood work done to see if i was ovulating and i have been and i also been on clomid for like to cyces well i was on clomid like two years ago but nothing happen and then my husband has had other relationships in the past to where he would not use and kind of potection and neither wood his partner and they never got pregnant and with me we been trying to have a baby for almost 4 years now and nothing and last year my husband and i spareted for like 3 mon and he had another relationship in those months and now the girl is saying that she is having his baby is that possible i mean i don`t understand because i know that having low sperm dose not mean that he can`t have kids it just means it will be harder or that we would have to go and get ivf and thats what my doctor told me i should do but that girl that says is having my husbands baby we still have to go an do a dna test to make sure is his but what i want to know is its possible for him to have so many relationships to where he dose not get anybody pregnant and that they get pregnant after they are not togther by someone else and then he has not goten me pregnant for the past 3 years and all of a sudden he dates a girl for a few months and she get pregnant is that possible and i was also wondering is there another test that i could get done to determine if my i can or can not have a baby i mean i have had blood work to see if i was ovulating and have had a viginal sunagram and i alos have had an hsg test done and they all came out good so i don`t understand whats going on i mean i am really stressed out because i have not gotten pregnant i mean the olny thing is that i get my period every month but i don`t get it every 28 days some times i get it 24 day 26 days and so on i mean thats the only prolblem but i always get my period and sometime i spot a few day before i get my period so is there anything that you can tell me that can help me determine whats going on or if there are other test that i need to get done thank you.

Answer:

It sounds as if the problem with fertility appears to be a male factor.  Even though your partner's sperm counts are low, he could potentially produce a pregnancy (it would just be less likely depending on what his counts and motility were).  Paternity testing would have to be performed to know if he actually fathered a child with a different partner. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this:  1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your partner's sperm into your uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus. 

I would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD