Infertility

Does thyroid cause infertility?

05/28/2008

Question:

I was trying to conceive when I was 33.It was discovered I had polycycstic ovaries,therefore I couldn`t fall pregnant.I was given clomid for two years and it did`nt work.At the age of 37 I had a thyriod problem.I had radiation therapy and thereafter I have to take eltroxin tablets for the rest of my life.My thyriod is now under control.Im 42 now.Is there any hope of having a child?

Answer:

Because of your age (42), your chances for conception are definitely decreased using your own eggs.  If you wanted to use your own eggs, I would recommend that you have a blood test to determine the quality of eggs left in the ovary (ovarian reserve testing).  If this testing were normal, I would recommend in vitro fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries wtih fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus. 

Given your age, your best chances to conceive would definitely involve the use of donor eggs.  An egg donor would undergo the egg retrieval process, and your husband's sperm would be mixed with her eggs.  The resultant embryos would be transferred into your uterus.

I would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD