Arthritis and Rheumatism

Is Surgery the Best Treatment for Meniscus Tear?

07/09/2008

Question:

I`m 30 years old. A few months ago, I started suffering from pain behind my left knee. I do not remember that I was injured or anything. At first, it hurts only when I stand up after sitting for awhile. The pain commenses as I take 2 or 3 steps and then it goes away. Now I feel the pain when I`m going up the stairs as well. I do not feel any pain when I`m doing sports activities or walking. My doctor ran X-ray and MRI tests and he diagnosed the case as a very minor meniscus tear and he recommended arthoscopic surgery. Another doctor suggested that I take "Glucosamine Sulfate" supplment as a treatment, but there was no improvement. I personally would like to keep the surgery as my last resort. I really do not know what do to?

Answer:

The knee pain may very well be due to meniscus tear or early Osteoarthritis. Physical therapy may be helpful if it has not been tried. There's no guarantee that arthroscopic surgery to fix the meniscus tear will help your pain, but the only way to know is to undergo the surgery.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Johnny  Su, MD Johnny Su, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine