Head and Neck Cancer

Back of head pain

05/30/2008

Question:

I`m getting really concerned. I started having pains when I lift my head in the shower (and outside) when I was overseas. The pain was in the back of my head. It also happens when I`m laying on my stomach, head up using my lap top or reading a book. I know I get migraines, but this is different.

When I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts I felt disorientated and thought I was just tired. However, when I went to take a nap, just as I fell asleep I felt almost paralyzed and used all energy within me to wake up. I was so scared. I then felt my neck and in the back of my neck was a small lump the size of a gumball. It went away a couple days later.

These headaches are getting worse. What exactly is happening to me? Excedrin migraine isn`t working as well as it used to. I`m taking the maximum amount, what could be wrong?

Answer:

It is difficult to come up with a diagnosis based on the provided information. You need to see a Neurologist in an expedited time. If no cause for the headache is found, a pain specialist can help control the symptoms.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine