Prostate Cancer

Fluctuating PSA Over 3 years

05/30/2008

Question:

Starting in 2006, I got a PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen test) and it was 1.93. Then in 2007, I got another and it was 1.5 . Now in 2008, I just got results and it is 2.34. Should I be concerned about these fluctating numbers? I am 60 years old. I have had periodic pain in my flank on both sides and at times, mild sharp pains for the past 5 months. I seem to have constipation as well. Any advice please? Thanks.

Answer:

It is not uncommon to see some fluctuation of PSA, particularly if you have had any inflammation of the prostate. Although your PSA levels are in the “normal” range, PSA velocity (the rate of change) is important to keep a close eye on. Certainly, if you continue to have a trend towards an increasing PSA you should consult your Urologist to determine if you should undergo a prostate biopsy.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology