Colorectal Diseases

Are these symtoms of prolapsed rectum?

06/13/2008

Question:

I have been told by an expert M,M. that I have a prolapsed rectum, my symptoms that are ongoing and problematic are not mentioned in the material I have read online. The doctor did say that the low back pain was a symptom and I could have nausea. I have low back pain and nausea, wiping a lot after having bowel movements. I am not constipated, or feel pressure to go, or have incontinence. There is not any protrusion. If I have surgery to fix this, will these symptoms go away? I am not interested in going through all surgery tribulations and recovery if this prolapse is not the problem.

Answer:

If you do not have prolapse out of your anus, where does the diagnosis of "prolapse" come from? Your symptoms could describe prolapse, but they could also describe a few other diagnoses. To be diagnosed with prolapse, it has to be seen.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division