Sports Medicine

Aching knees

06/04/2008

Question:

knee aches when after sitting, getting up and walking. i play golf twice a week and after the 2nd hole, i generally forget all about the pain, as my golf is painful enough, and at 71 my health is EXCELLENT, this being the first aging problem i have experienced.

Answer:

The most common cause of this symptom is caused by degenerative changes on the undersurface of the kneecap.  Symptoms can be improved with strengthening the quadriceps muscles (particularly the inside aspect of the quadriceps or thigh muscles) and stretching the hamstrings, wearing a knee sleeve (elastic) with a hole in the middle that allows the kneecap to track better within its groove and possibly over the counter glucosamine.  If these interventions are not helpful, I would recommend a physician evaluation to determine if there is another possible cause of your discomfort and to consider more invasive interventions if necessary. 

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Charles Webster, MD