Pain Management

Foot Calluses and Discomfort

06/10/2008

Question:

I have flat feet. I can not walk on hard surfaces barefoot. There is a callus growth on the bottom of my feet that I shave down every so often. This appears on both feet, on the right it is also on the ball of my feet and the near the front and center. On the left is is just near the front. This is very uncomfortable and I really like to walk around my home without shoes. This condition has gotten worse over the years. I am in 58 years of age.

Answer:

As we age we naturally lose some of the protective tissues on the bottom of the feet. This “padding” provides cushioning when we are younger and protects our feet from damage. Once you begin to lose it the bones in the foot are subject to increasing pressure from hard flat surfaces. Since pain is the only way your body has to tell you that you are doing potential damage you need to heed this warning. There are options to walking around barefoot at home. These include; slip on shoes (which now come in an athletic style shoe as well as many others styles), sandals, and well made slippers. Once you are seated feel free to slip them off however while you are walking it is in your best interest to protect your feet. They need to last you your lifetime.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery