Head and Neck Cancer

Survival rate

06/23/2008

Question:

I would like to know the survival rate after surgey from having my parotid gland removed. I am 56 years old, a smoker and drinker, and have had a squamous cell carsinoma removed from the right cheek (same side as parotid gland). Was originally diagnosed with Bell`s Palsy in May of 2007.

Answer:

It seems as though you had metastatic disease to your parotid from a previously treated SCC of the skin. It was somewhat advanced if your facial nerve was paralyzed. I assume that you had removal of your parotid gland. I would also normally recommend postoperative irradiation. Despite the extent of the disease, the prognosis is usually good assuming that the tumor was completely removed. You are already one year out... so your prognosis is even better. Make sure that you follow up regularly with your doctors.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery