Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Tingling/burning sensation with crowns

06/02/2008

Question:

Hi I had several crowns and a bridge put in about a month ago (5 crowns and a bridge all in the front). I`m having several sensations that are very troubling. I get a strange burning or tingling sensation on the surface of the crowns when my tongue touches them. This doesn`t seem to be as big a problem in the morning as it becomes as the day progresses. I also have a burning and sensitivity where the gum and crown meet. This is especially troublesome after I eat (it can last for a few hours). Are these feelings common, what can be done about them and will they go away on their own? I`m concerned that I`ll have to live with this for the rest of my life now. Thank you.

Answer:

Some sensitivity is common after new crowns are placed, but the sensitivity should start to resolve in the next month or so. If not, see your dentist as you may have some sensitive root exposed (which can be helped with desensitization medications) or some left over cement irritating your gums.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry