Myasthenia Gravis

Keeping checks

06/09/2008

Question:

I have had myasthenia gravis for over 20years No one has kept a check on me or the medication I take At times I have felt very ill and been told well you have myasthenia there is nothing I can do for you. Why is it nobody checks me

Answer:

Myasthenia care has improved a great deal in the last 20 years and there are many things that can be done, depending on the symptoms. You might be one of the lucky patients who has minimal symptoms who gets by with just as needed pyridostigmine (mestinon). If you are unsatisfied with your current level of care, I would suggest establishing yourself with a neurologist, esp. one who is familiar with myasthenia. Just remember to pay attention to the signs and symptoms of worsening myasthenia--- double vision, droopy eyelids, difficulty chewing, difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing, slurred speech, and/or weak arms and legs or weak neck. These are the symptoms to talk about with your doctor. Good luck!

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD