Athletic Training

Toe numbing

06/04/2008

Question:

I am overweight but healthy and active. By healthy I mean I do anual checkups including blood work and have no BP or any other issues due to my weight. The only med`s I take are for allergies. Allegra My question is for a couple of years my right foot starting first was the longest toe and recently the two adjacent toes start to go numb when I first lay down at bed time. No pain is associated and it does not prevent sleep. I do have apnea and use a machine everynight. The toes are not white or discolored when the numbness sets in. What do you think? Blood sugar has always been normal.

Answer:

There can be many reasons for numbness in the body related to the neurovascular system. With the location you describe, the most likely cause is compression to one of the sensory nerves of the toes.  I would recommend a visit to your family physician for a thorough evaluation of your problem and to determine an appropriate course of treatment.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences