Sports Medicine

Was my cast taken off too early?

06/04/2008

Question:

i am deployed military in iraq and i hae a question for u about the drs here. i fell and limp wristed my left wrist, and fell onto it with it turned down and broke 2 of the carpal bones below my thumb. ive been in a cast for 3 weeks, and i went back for a followup, and they remoed the cast, looked at it, and put me in a splint and told me it was ok. they never rexrayed it, and i think it is still broken. i can barely move it...it creaks and crakes and pops everytime that i move it and my hand is tingly and kinda numb. it is swollen and bruised. what do i need to do?

Answer:

I am unable to answer your question about whether your cast was removed too early because I am unable to view your x-rays and examine your wrist.  However, I can advise you that if your symptoms are still significant and are limiting your range of motion and activity, this requires re-evaluation by a physician.  If you are not satisfied with your current care, it is always reasonable to seek a second opinion.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Charles Webster, MD