High Blood Pressure

Hypertension

06/16/2008

Question:

As you are aware about my case because you have answered my question one day earlir I would like to ask you something more about High BP. I am jogging almost everynight for 30 minutes and after 2 hours my BP is 120/80 normally when resting. To remind you I am Hypertensionst as I inherited from my father, apparently from my age of 30 , I am 36 today, I am taking 5 mg of Lisinopril per day since last year. It is one year now taking this therapy.I have changed my lifestyle such as: avoiding salt on meal,eating low fat meal, as mentioned above jogging for 30 minutes daily, quit drinking alcohol. My question is can excerise a light body building like weightlifting , would it be a problem ?

Answer:

It appears that your blood pressure is well controlled, and that lisinopril is a good drug for you.  Exercise, including weight lifting, is beneficial.

Although your blood pressure will be high during and immediately after isometric exercise, your baseline blood pressure will be lower over the long run.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section