Menopause

Mood swings and fatigue with menopause?

07/07/2008

Question:

I believe i have started my menopause. I am 49 yrs old. For the last year my period has been really heavy, slowly tapering off and not having one at all. I have gained weight around my middle, have a hard time sleeping at night and fly off the handle without any notice at all. I am hot most of the time. My doc prescribed 1mg of estradiol. Will this help my moods and fatigue? My doc is not easy to talk to. Thanks.

Answer:

Estrogen therapy may help your sleep and thus your fatigue and mood.  If you still have your uterus, it is recommended that you take a progestogen along with the estrogen either daily or in a cyclic fashion.  Hormone therapy is not recommended for women who have had blood clots in their legs or lungs or who have had breast cancer.  You may also want to check to see if you are anemic from your heavy periods, and if so, take an iron supplement for awhile.  If heavy bleeding starts again, consider checking for fibroids and endometrial hyperplasia.  If your mood is not better using estrogen, look for other causes of stress in your life.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology