Infertility

Narrow cervix

06/16/2008

Question:

my question is if you have a narrow cervix and your husband having low sperm is it possible for it to be difficult to get pregnant and the reason why i ask is because my gyn recomended me to get an hsg test done and so i did and when i went to get it done he was not there i was going to get the test done by a rayiology doctor and when i went into the room he tried to get the test done and he could not do it so he told me that i had a narrow cervix so then i called my gyn to see what was going to happen next and he told me that he was going to do the test so i had to wait for the next time that i got my period so i did and when i did they set up a time an date for the test and when i went in to get the test my gyn was able to do it so i asked him why was the radiology doctor not able to get it done and he said that my cervix was a bit to the side like tilted i don`t know what that meant but when the test results came back he said everything was good but he told me that i was going to have to go an get ivf done because i was good but my husband has low sperm but theres one thing there is a girl that says that she is having my husbands baby so why was he able to get her pregnant with in one month of just having intercours with her and has been trying to get me pregnant for almost four years now and i actually made an appointment with a infetility doctor but when i found out abut that girl being pregnant of my husband i canceld the appointment with the infertility doctor because i did not want to spend money on any treatmeants if he got her pregnant so i am just waiting until the lady gives birth so we can do her a dna test to see if it`s his.

Answer:

It sounds as if the problem with fertility appears to be a male factor.  Even though your partner's sperm counts are low, he could potentially produce a pregnancy (it would just be less likely depending on what his counts and motility were).  Paternity testing would have to be performed to know if he actually fathered a child with a different partner. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this: 

1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your partner's sperm into your uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus. 

With regards to your cervix, it is not a factor with regards to your ability to conceive.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD