Sports Medicine

Bruised the bone?

06/16/2008

Question:

Recently, i was playing football with my friends when me and one of them feel and he landed with both knees from about 0.5 metres up, onto the back of my thigh. I cant walk properly on it now and its been 3 days. The pain is still there just as it was when i did it, although painkillers do take it away slightly. could i have bruised the bone and if so, what should i do and how long will it take to go away.

thanks

Answer:

Although a physical examination is a necessary part of making a diagnosis, imaging studies such as X-rays, ultrasound, and/or an MRI scan may also be necessary to determine whether you sustained a "bone bruise" - or contusion - of your femur (thigh bone), and/or a contusion of the hamstring muscles (in the back of your thigh). You may have a condition called myositis ossificans; to learn more about this, a search within the NetWellness website using this term will yield 6 results.

The best treatment for your condition, and the prognosis for when you may resume unrestricted activities, requires an accurate diagnosis, for which you are encouraged to consult with your primary care physician and/or a sports medicine physician.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation