Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Miscarriage due to unbalanced translocation

06/11/2008

Question:

I have had 2 miscarriages. A miscarriage in 2006, a healthy boy born in 2007, and a miscarriage in 2008. After the 2nd miscarriage we opted for chromosome testing on the baby. It was determined that the bady had a 10-14 unbalanced chromosome translocation. So we understand why this baby did not make it.

My husband and I are currently waiting for our results for our chromosome testing. So we can see if the baby`s translocation was due to one of us having a balanced translocation, or if the baby`s translocation was completely random.

My question is, what are the chances that my husband or myself have a translocation vs. it being completely random? Are there statistics showing how often a unbalanced translocation occurs from parents without a balanced translocation vs. how often an unbalanced translocation occurs from a parent with a balanced transloction?

Thank you.

Answer:

It is estimated that about 1 person in 673 to 1 in 1000 of the general population carries a balanced reciprocal translocation. This data comes from prenatal and newborn studies. A reciprocal translocation happens when two different chromosomes break and exchange pieces with each other. As long as all of the chromosome material is present - nothing missing or added - there should be no health problems caused by the translocation.

Most unbalanced translocations are not inherited (this is called a de novo unbalanced translocation), that is, neither parent has a balanced translocation. However, it is estimated that in about 4% of couples who have had more than 2 or 3 miscarriages, one of the parents will have a balanced translocation.

These are important questions. You probably have, but if you have not already spoken to a genetic counselor or geneticist, I would highly recommend that you do. You can locate a genetics center near you at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website listed below.

National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics