Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

High Blood Pressure




I have high blood pressure and PAH. I know that there are certain tests for your heart that are done on a treadmill or a bike. I also have sever RA and would not be able to do them. Is there any other way of doing those tests or any differnt test where they can get the same information?


Patients who cannot exercise can still undergo a assessment of heart function by using pharmacological agents that stimulate an increase in blood flow to the heart.  That increase in blood flow is similar to the one produced by exercise.

The preferred agents are dipyridamole and adenosine.  If needed, you could get a dipyridamole thallium scan, for example, to check the function of your heart.

For more information:

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati