Sarcoidosis

Is My Sarcoidosis Still Causing All These Complications?

06/11/2008

Question:

I have Sarcoidosis. On my last visit to the doctors, I had another CT scan. It showed that the granulomas were decreasing in size. I feel more short of breath and have more chest pain which seems to be getting worse. I also seem to be more fatigued which is also getting worse. Is it possible that my sarcoidosis is still active even though the granulomas are decreasing in size?

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

The evidence provided by the CT scan sounds encouraging in that it implies that the sarcoidosis may be less active. This being said, it is not uncommon for the disease to affect more than one part of your body, and disease outside of the lungs or lymph nodes is often more difficult to manage. Thus, I would encourage your doctors to make sure that the disease does not involve other organs that may contribute to your symptoms, including shortness of breath and chest pains.

Fatigue is a very common symptom among sarcoidosis patients. The fatigue usually does get better as the disease activity resolves. However, other causes of fatigue should be considered, including psychological factors (stress, anxiety, depression), medications, alcohol or caffeine consumption, sleep quality, etc. Again, your doctor can help sort this out.

Sincerely,

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine