Sports Medicine

Pain in the lower back/right leg

06/16/2008

Question:

Hello, I am a 15 year old male and I play a lot of soccer. Recently I have been getting a lot of pain in my lower back on the right hand side that extends down my right leg a short way only,whilst training and playing.The pain is not there when I am not playing, and it is not there when I first start training and playing,it starts to hurt after approx 20 mins of working out.I have been going to a chiropractor , and yes it has got slightly better , but not alot.Any ideas as to what you might think my injury is . Thanks you.

Answer:

Pain that radiates down your leg, even a short way, is serious as it could be damaging a nerve. I recommend that you see a physician or a physical therapist for an evaluation. Nerve pain can have many causes and an evaluation will help find the cause and lead to a quicker recovery.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions