Root canal

06/13/2008

Question:

I have had root canal twice on the same tooth within 1 year. I`m still experiencing an infection on my gum line where there root canal was performed. I`m now told that the tooth needs to be remove and a single implant must be done. I`m second guessing because I have had root canal also done on the tooth next to it and maybe that is the problem? Should I go forward with the tooth being remove and a single implant?

Answer:

There may be something wrong with your tooth that does not allow it to be saved, such as a crack or fracture. However, I would not recommend just giving up and having the tooth pulled until you have exhausted all of your options. If you have not yet sought an evaluation by an endodontist, please do. Endodontists are dentists with additional education in diagnosis and root canal treatment. Because they limit their practices to endodontics, they treat these types of problems every day. They use their special training and experience in treating difficult cases.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics