Sports Medicine

Shoulder surgery left

06/26/2008

Question:

I had to have shoulder surgery on my left shoulder, arthoscope surgery. I had a bone spur (large). One was cut out, and had the ball of the socket scraped, one had a larger area to be scraped off. It has been a long recovery for me. Lots of pain and little movement in shoulder. I am off of work for about 2.5 months and have been in therepy. When will I be able to go back to work?

Answer:

The answer to this question depends, of course, on the type of work that you do.  The most important part of recovery after this type of surgery is physical therapy to maximize mobility and strength of the shoulder, which are both compromised after surgery.  It is important to continue to participate actively in physical therapy to avoid a frozen shoulder, an unfortunate post-surgical complication in patients who do not undergo appropriate mobility exercises.  It will be important to continue to work with your physician to gain back the best strength and flexibility so that you can continue working and playing as before. 

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Charles Webster, MD