Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Blood clots in kidney

06/17/2008

Question:

Hi, I am hoping for some information. Five years ago, it was discovered that I had clots in my lungs, and my inferior vena cava. A year later I had a Coumadin failure, so I take Arixtra once every day. Since, then I have a had total of eight PEs. I have had a hysterectomy because my doctors thought it was cancer. After the ovaries and lymph nodes were biopsied there was not cancer. Recently, it was discovered that I have a clot in my kidney, renal vein, and again my inferior vena cava. The doctors have run all sorts of tests and now there are no other test to run. My hematologist told me that he has run all the test that he could, and there are no new tests to run. It feels like he gave up too. They cannot figure out what the cause of the clotting is. Is there anything else that can be done? There is no clotting disorder in our family. I am only 33 years old.

Answer:

It is hard to give you a more definitive answer without knowing more of the details of your case and being able to examine and interview you. However, it does sound as though you have a fairly profound predisposition to the formation of blood clots, despite the appropriate therapy.

I would encourage you to see a hematologist at a major university that has an expert in blood clotting disorders if you haven't already done so. It would be nice to try and figure out why you seem to clot despite the appropriate anticoagulation therapy.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine