Sports Medicine

Ankle pain in the front of my ankle

06/18/2008

Question:

I was playing basketball in late January/early February when i first hurt my ankle. And it has hurt ever since but not all of the time only when i bend my ankle up or down. This pain has lasted for atleast 5 months and the pain has not got any better. I was wondering what was wrong with my ankle because the x-rays on my ankle came back negative for a fracture.

Answer:

Since you are having pain this long after the initial injury, I would recommend that you have the ankle re-evaluated to determine if there was an unrecognized initial injury that did not show up on the x-ray.  A good physical exam can help narrow down the potential causes of the pain.  After the doctor examines your ankle, he/she can determine if this is a chronic sprain or a previously undiagnosed fracture that could be detected with repeat x-ray or MRI.  I hope this helps.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Charles Webster, MD