Gynecology

Less bleeding during periods

08/11/2008

Question:

I am 26 years old. For a few months I did not get periods.  I consulted a doctor and after the treatment I am getting periods regularly on time, but only 2 days and less bleeding. (Before my periods used to last for 3 to 5 days.) Now I am married. Is there any problem for pregnancy? Tell me details. Wait for your reply.

Answer:

When a woman stops having periods, it usually means she is not releasing eggs (ovulating) every month. Short periods without menstrual cramps also suggest a problem with ovulation. Ovulation problems are the most common causes of decreased fertility in women and are usually easy to treat.

From your question, it is not possible to determine why you stopped having periods or what treatment your doctor used to restart them. However, if you are not using any form of contraception and you have not become pregnant with this treatment after 6 months, you should return to your doctor to determine if you are ovulating or if other fertility problems might be present.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology