Life expectancy of Type 2 Diabetic

06/23/2008

Question:

I have become diabetic at the age of 30 and I am not taking any medicine nor doing any control activity. Now I am of 34. What is going to be my expected life in this circumstances? Kindly give me answer in numbers. Please.

Answer:

I don't know that I can give you an answer in numbers that is very precise - there are a great many factors involved and I think any number I would generate based on knowing nothing further about you would be meaningless.  A person of that age who develops diabetes may have a shorter lifespan than another similar person without diabetes, but that is not always the case.  There are people alive today who are in their 70's who developed type 1 diabetes in childhood.  The question now is whether you are not taking medicine because your blood sugars are normal without them, or whether you are not taking medicines because you don't have access to them but need them, or whether you have adequate information about your blood sugar control and know whether you need them.  Most doctors believe that you will live longer and healthier by keeping your blood sugars as normal as you can - so the focus should be on doing as good a job as you can of protecting your health, and that that will provide you a benefit.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD