Gynecology

Pregnancy

07/09/2008

Question:

Hi, I need to know if there is a test to know if I can get pregnant or not? How do I know? Also I have an ovarian cyst and I`m going to surgery. I don`t know if that might affect my ability to have kids. One last thing, my husband is diabetic and we have been trying to get pregnant around 8 months. Can diabetes cause fertility problems?

Answer:

There is not a single test to find out if you are fertile. If you have been trying without success for almost a year, it is a good time to start looking into it. During your surgery for your cyst, our gynecologist might be able to determine if your tubes are open and if there are any other fertility problems on the inside. You should ask your gynecologist about this as far as possible before surgery so he can determine the best tests to do on you during surgery. After surgery, there are a number fertility tests that your gynecologist can order for you and your husband.

As far as the effect of ovarian surgery on future fertility, removing a cyst does not usually decrease fertility. If the cyst is large (say, greater than a tangerine) sometimes removing it will improve your fertility. Again, discuss this with you gynecologist prior to surgery.

Finally, diabetes does not decrease fertility in most men. If the diabetes is severe, and longstanding, some men have performance problems during sex. If this is not a problem, diabetes in a man is unlikely to decrease the chances of getting pregnant.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology