Infertility

Semen Analysis

06/30/2008

Question:

I did make a semen analysis test and the results where as follows :

Quantity : 8.0 ML Viscosity : Normal Colour : Creamy White Liquefaction time : 20 minutes

Sperm count : 34.8 Million/ml

Motility Active : 40% Sluggish : 20% Nonmotile : 40%

Abnormal forms : <15 %

Are these results OK, and if not what is the most suitable treatment, please note that I did make a clinical check and lab check ( ULTRASOUND OF THE SCROTUM ) for the testes and every thing was OK. ( THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF HYDROCOELE OR VARICOCELE )as stated in the report.

Thanks.

Answer:

I would first recommend a repeat semen analysis, as you appear to have decreased motility.  If it were still abnormal, you would be diagnosed with male factor infertility. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this: 

1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your partner's sperm into your uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD