Athletic Training

Swollen ankles

07/10/2008

Question:

I have had swollen ankles as long as i can remember even when i was young iam 41 now first one ankle now both are swollen all the time and they also hurt iam over weight now but was not when problem first started

Answer:

When there is swelling in an extremity, it is traditionally from a traumatic incident. Swelling in the ankles can be especially hard to manage due to gravity assisting with the pooling in the foot/ankle. However, you do not state a history of chronic sprains/strains in your lower extremity.

Additionally, if both ankles now feel/appear swollen, I would recommend you see your primary care physician. There are multiple reasons for the swelling, but as you stated in your question you may be overweight. This, too, can make it difficult for swelling to resolve itself.

I would recommend you take a journal or timeline with you to your doctor. It should state when you feel the swelling is the worst (AM, PM, after walking, etc.), weather that makes you feel worse, activity level, and dietary habits. I believe this will assist you in resolving your issue.

Best of luck.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Alex K Wong, MS, ATC Alex K Wong, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Lecturer & Trainer