Sports Medicine

Upper leg pain in groin area

07/16/2008

Question:

what can I do to relieve pain on the upper front part of my leg groin area. I had been experiencig a small of amount of pain for the last few days but today it is very intense. What can I do to relieve some of the pain? It almost feels like an inflamation of a nerve.

Answer:

The most appropriate treatment for your symptoms should be based on an accurate diagnosis, which requires performance of a history and physical examination, and possibly diagnostic testing such as imaging studies. Intense pain doesn't necessarily mean there's inflammation of a nerve. Pain in the groin is actually less than likely due to a "nerve" problem... one of many possible causes of groin pain is a hernia, for which your physician will most likely check you. Since your pain is worsening, I advise you to consult with your physician as soon as possible.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation