Myasthenia Gravis

Doses

06/25/2008

Question:

I`ve recently been diagnosed with MG. I started with a dosage of 3 - 60 mg tablets of mestinon daily but indicated to my neurologist that I had not noticed any measurable change. He raised the dose to 4 - 60 mg daily. My symptoms are labored breathing with exertion and severe muscle fatigue. My diagnosis came about from a drooping eyelid that required surgery to correct. Is there a optimum dosage per case that will provide best results or should any dose taken be improving my symptoms?

Answer:

The best dose of mestinon can vary from patient to patient. It is really a matter of balancing the benefits (improved strength) versus the side effects (loose stools, cramping abdominal pain, excessive salivation, etc.) to determine the optimal dose. Even increased weakness can occur with higher doses.

Be sure to work carefully with your treating neurologist. Letting him know what is working/not working and your other symptoms will guide his treatment plan.

Best of luck to you.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology