NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Monday, May 20, 2013
I may have been exposed to asbestos when a small section of plaster wall (six square feet) from a house built in the 1920`s was removed. This work was done in a bathroom, so the area is small and enclosed. There wasn`t much dust, but I cleaned a thin layer of dust off the counter and floor with a shop vacuum for 5 minutes, causing any fibers to become airborne. I then left the site and returned the next day to continue with the remodel. What is my risk factor for lung disease from this action? Please advise. Thank you.
The risk of a brief (5 minute) and low level exposure is extremely low and should not pose concern for future lung health.
James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University