Allergies

Swelling left side of face

06/24/2008

Question:

Why does the left side of my face swell with no known allergies? The part I`m talking about is between my cheekbone and nose. It is enlarged, but the area is not reddish in color and the mount is still soft. I am just worried because I have this enlarged cheek for two days now. I haven`t felt any abnormalities yet, including any affect on my sense of sight. Thank you.

Answer:

Allergic swelling is usually associated with redness due to the dilation of blood vessels. Itch is also a prominent finding in allergic swelling. Swelling or edema due to allergies also does not usually last longer than 36 hours. The fact that the swelling you describe does not have these typical features of allergic reaction suggests that there may be another cause. I would have your primary care physician or urgent care specialist evaluate the swelling. Radiographic studies (x-rays) can be done to further define the area involved and to rule out causes such as sinus infections. Your primary care or urgent care physician can decide whether further evaluation by a specialist, such as an ear, nose and throat physician, is warranted.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Charity C Fox, MD Charity C Fox, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep