Sarcoidosis

What Happens to the Granulomas After They Scar Your Lungs?

06/23/2008

Question:

What happens to the granulomas after they scar your lungs? Do they start going away or remanin? Is it possible to have the granulomas turn into scar tissue and go away and still be able to have an active sarcoid? I ask because I am very fatigued and am having a lot of chest pain. I also have elevated back pain, so much that even though I am disabled I can`t even enjoy having my grand daughter.

Answer:

In some cases of sarcoidosis, areas of inflammation (granulomas) convert into scars. It is possible for both granulomas and scars to occur simultaneously. I do not have enough information about your disease to know if your fatigue or chest pain symptoms relate to active sarcoidosis (granulomas). I would recommend that you make an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause of these symptoms, especially since they are affecting your lifestyle.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine